Write Elder Pemberton at:

Elder Pemberton
Santo Domingo West Mission
C/ Hatuey #73
Urb. Los Cacicazgos
Santo Domingo, República Dominicana

Monday, August 27, 2012

8/27/2012

Well first I have a list of things that I need to say first and then we´ll get into the good stuffs... well I hope its the good stuffs meaning interesting...

I´ve been missin my buddies from vegas whats going on with them? Any mission calls? Who´s off at college? 

Also where´s my dear sister Kiara Otis? I´m super proud of Mitch and his ballgame. He would do well of here in the DR. Dominicanos love their pelota. 

I have a letter waiting to be sent to a miss Jessica VanAlfen could someone be so kind and get me her address?

Also Ana I need some rechargable batteries and a charger... Yeah I dont have anymore AAA batteries and... they´re expensive here. And my camera is out of juice. But if you could please get that to me when you can that would be great.... oh and another mini mag-light? My house ate my other one :/ yes... i´m still working on my responsibility problems. You didnt think I´d come home perfect did you ;) Also I wanted to tell you about an experience that Elder Mooney and I had sunday night. We went to a ward council meeting and wow. I felt such an amazing spirit there. I realized that you have been going to that for the past 8 months  and that now dad gets to go to it too. What awesome parents I have! The leaders of this church are truly inspired and loving people!

Papi dime más de esta escuela de instructores ¿no estabas en IIAFA anteriormente? No se preocupen de verdad no estoy preocupándome por ustedes pero si estoy orando y voy a tener eso más específicamente en mis oraciones. Pero papi has hecho mucho en este año y estoy muy orgulloso de llamarte mi padre. Yo quería saber lo que pasó con su examen de rango? pasaste? si no que es el plan ahora?

Also to answer grandma´s questions about the country and the food. Its pretty much rice and beans and some kind of meat. They call it La Bandera (the flag). As far as other things, Morro is the rice with beans cooked into it. Fritos are platanos.. or plantains I think is the english work cut up into slices fried mashed slightly and then fried again they´re pretty good. I attempted the other day to what i hope with make my dad proud arroz amarillo con gandules. I didnt get the rice all that yellow but it was still faily decent. Also we eat alot for lunch and at times not much for breakfast or dinner. But yeah those are some of the few things that are good also dad do you know what majarete is? We had some today for lunch it was fantastic!!!

Ahora sí. Now for what you all have been waiting for. No worries I´m alive! :) The storm hit thursday night we think while we were sleeping. But thursday during the day we left our first visit of the day and asked if there were any questions comments or needs. And they didnt have any questions but they had a comment. They said, "be careful in the storm!" We had realized that it was a little extra windy as we left the house that day but we didnt think anything of it. The Zone Leaders then called us a few hours later saying that we needed to get 3 days worth of food and that after we were in house that night that we couldnt leave until they told us to. I told Elder Mooney that it was probably going to be nothing and that we would probably be able to go out because we had a huge day the next day. Well my friends.... its a good thing i´m not in the market to be a meteorologist. We woke up and it was pouring rain. The wind was crashing against the house and the windows. It was crazy. So Ana to answer your questions as far as where I was: In the house for 48 hrs straight. As far as what did I see: not much because we were in our house but it was crazy sounding with wind rain thunder and lightning. As far as what I did: well.... during that 48 hrs of being in the house about 16 was spent sleeping durng the normal times. I did take a nap.... or two... and i explain why because of the other 30 or so hours left we maybe had light for 6 of them. And the wondows had to be shut or else we were going to get soaked so we did a lot during the night by candlelight. But all in all it was a good expereince. Elder Mooney and I went on a run this morning by the ocean and most of the shrubery was gone the ocean was filled with garbage and there was one part of the sidewalk that was still completely flooded and there was anoter part that was completely caved in! about 30 ft or more of the sidewalk had been swept away to the rocks below. It was crazy! But I repeat. I´m alive safe and sound and I thank each and everyone of you for your prayers and your thoughts. I know it was those prayers and a loving Heavenly Father that made sure I was protected through this storm. 

Well as far as whats going on in my life other than the storm as the title says I´m getting sent to the country! Well country does really describe it that well.. The best word is truly the spanish equivelant: El Campo. My new comp is Elder Paredes who´s from Mexico and has spent actually a whole lot of time in Provo. He speaks really great english but I know he´ll be able to help me out with my spanish. When i was born (started my mission) he was in my zone and we got to become good friends right of the bat. He´s about two transfers ahead of me and I´m really looking forward to go out to the campo and work hard. 

Well sorry I dont have a whole bunch of spiritual stuff but I wanted to update you all on whats going on here and the auxilary stuff. I will share with you my simple and humble testimony. My dear family and friends the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ´s true church on the earth today. It just makes sense. BUT a member was sharing with me the other day her father´s conversion story. He just wanted to find all of the things that were wrong with the church. How logically this isnt true or this part of the church doesnt make sense. Just tearing it down wherever he could. But as time went on he decided to test his faith and find out for himself based on believing and not rationalizing. Its true in the views of man the church is imperfect. It has too many rules. It  goes against the rest of the religions. But I´m proud to say the church isnt based off of the thoughts and understandings of man. Jesus Christ is the head of this Church. If you dont believe me pray about it. If you havent prayed. my question to you would be why not? At the very least pray to God to see if you should sincerely learn more about the church. I promise you He will answer you. Because He loves you and wants you to be happy. This is the only road to sincere and eternal happiness I testify that to you all in the name of my Lord and Savior and no it to be true because He Himself has made to me known such wonderful truths. I ask you to test your faith like the father of this wonderful member in my ward. This man is now a member and has missionaries live in his house so that this marvilous work can keep pressing forward. I love this work and I love my Heavenly Father and because of that love I´m going to keep serving and let my God use me as an insrument in His masterful hands.
I love you all so much have a great week!

Love,
Elder Pemberton

No comments:

Post a Comment